Friday, March 26, 2010

We really have very little control...

We only have one neighbor, and it's a family of four. Two boys, both older than my children but still at an age where they like having a four year old tag along from time to time. The oldest is around 12, and my son thinks he's the coolest kid around. He's always scrambling to say hi and shout from across the street. It's all very sweet.

The other night as my children and I drove down the main street of our town headed home from a long day at work and school, we saw the oldest of our neighbor boys walking to the store (I can't wait until my son's old enough to get last minute groceries for me!). My son got excited and started waving and yelling hello. I waved as we drove by and my son very matter of factly said: Mom, He has his hat on backwards...he looks like a dude. That's so cool. When I get a little bigger, I'm gonna wear my hat like that and look like a dude too.

I'm sure I laughed a little but later, after he was dreaming away, I retold the story (for the second time) to my husband and we laughed together, hard and for several moments. I'm not sure if it was the dude reference, or the fact that he thinks wearing baseball caps backwards is cool or maybe it was both, but one thing is certain, he does not have his mother's sense of style. And I'm afraid it's too late to do much about it!

Needless to say, this is now at the top of my list of strange and funny things my children have learned along the way...

No comments:

Post a Comment