Monday, March 22, 2010

How much I appreciate my son's creativity.

I have an 18 month old daughter and a four year old son. She is fun and naughty and manipulative and a whole lot like her mom. He has two sides: one that's 100% boy with torn jeans, dirty fingernails and rough play; and another that's sensitive, thoughtful and cuddly.

And lately, when they're playing together, he's been bringing out the second side in an unexpected way. There are many nights and weekends I respond to him yelling 'mom' only to find out he's addressing is oblivious little sister. He's trying to play house. Asking if he can play outside; asking to help her cook, etc. And as she walks around doing her own thing, he follows her around and tries to create this imaginary world for the two of them.

When she's a little older, the game might work, but by then he probably won't want her to be the mom and he be the son. But I appreciate his desire to play house and create these scenarios. I am so thankful every time I seen my children using their imaginations. I can't help but think back to the hours I spent creating forts in the backyard. Building homes and towns for my Barbies. And playing mom or teacher to our dolls and stuffed animals.

I can't help feel that it has led me to continue exploring my creative side as an adult. To view things a little differently, and to not be afraid to pursue out of the norm ideas. I'm proud to be a bit of a dreamer and I only hope each of my kids can hold on to that part of themselves for the remainder of their lives. It's a beautiful gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment