Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Love knows nothing about age.


Two weeks ago I witnessed my son's first love and very first loss. It was an amazing experience.

It was just the second wedding reception my son has ever been to. And maybe I should have seen what was coming when a) he asked me to style his mohawk, b) asked over and over and over what time the "dance party" was going to start, or c) when I saw him see her for the first time that evening.

It was the definition of love at first sight. Before I could say or do anything, the two of them were dancing. Holding hands during the slow songs; shaking their booties during the fast ones.


At one point, I was in the bathroom changing my daughter's diaper when I heard these two little voices in the doorway:
Her: Just stand right here and wait for me. I just have to go potty. Just wait here.
Him: Okay. I won't leave.

Sounds like I had better work on helping him "man up" a little already...

After many pictures and even more comments from friends, family and complete strangers about how cute it was and how much of a player my son is already, I was informed that it was over. Their love ended just as dramatically as it had began.

She poked him in the eye.

He punched her back.

The end...for now.

1 comment:

  1. one of my most favorite posts ever. thank you!
    ~Katie B.

    ReplyDelete